BloggerHood

Monday, November 2, 2009

'This Is The Place Monument'






Yesterday we were able 2 take our little family on a FIELD TRIP, as we referred 2 it 2 heighten the kids excitement, 2 'This Is The Place Monument.' We had such a GREAT time & were able 2 show our kids that even though there are a lot of things that we can't do on the Sabbath day. . . .there are also a ton of things that we CAN do. :D A little history on what this place is about:



'This Is The Place Monument marks the spot where the Mormon Pioneers 1st entered the Salt Lake Valley & marks the end of the 1,300-mile Mormon trail. It was here that Brigham Young stopped his carriage in July 1847 and, after surveying the desert valley near the shores of the Great Salt Lake, declared, "This is the right place." On July 24, 1947, exactly 100 years after his declaration, a heroic-sized bronze sculpture of Young & 2 of his colleagues was placed atop a 60-foot pedestal overlooking the Valley.

This Is The Place Monument was conceived, promoted & erected by a State-appointed commission composed of representatives of various faiths in Utah, including members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Catholics, Protestants & Jews.

This commission selected Mahonri M. Young, the celebrated sculptor & grandson of Brigham Young, 2 design the monument. The monument stands 60 feet tall & 86 feet long; the figure of Brigham Youn on the top stands 12 feet 14 inches tall, along w/Heber C. Kimball & Wilford Woodruff.

The Monument recognizes the early Spanish explorers & missionaries, the trappers, the Donner-Reed party, & the Mormon pioneers, including Brigham Young, Heber C. Kimball & Wilford Woodruff whose figures stand atop the This Is The Place Monument.'

We arrived @ the monument just before sunset & it was AMAZING!! The view 4rom there of the Salt Lake Valley is breath taking!! :D It was GREAT & very HUMBLING 2 be able 2 take our kids there & read over all the stories & events that go w/every monument there. My personal favorite has 2 be the 'Journey's End Monument' depicting a handcart pioneer family kneeling in grateful prayer @ the end of their journey.



This monument is so MOVING & really got me teary eyed as it took my train of thought back 2 all the sacrifices, trials & persecutions the pioneers went through in order 2 reach Zion. My heart goes out 2 all the families that lost LOVED ones during their journey 2 this place. It has opened up my eyes 2 a whole new meaning of GRATITUDE & GRATEFULNESS in being able 2 live in this day in age & not just that. . . . .but also being able 2 live here in this GREAT land of Salt Lake City where many lives were taken during the gathering 2gether of this people in this land.

I admire every single individual that helped settle Utah 4 it is the place I call HOME. :D The things in life that matter most, which in my eyes are the different relationships we carry throughout our lives have helped me 2 realize that there are so many things that can be taken out of context if we LET it. But having the gospel in my life has always HELPED me realize 'What Matters Most' & more importantly 2 be more SINCERE in my everyday living. It has helped me STEER clear of dangers that may come upon me & I can honestly say that it has helped me 2 become more in tuned w/the spirit in ways that I never knew of.

I hope 2 continue 2 move 4ward in life & persue my life long dreams & in the process. . . .enjoy the journey. :D Nothing GREAT comes w/out a price & I'm willing 2 pay that price even if it seems @ times that I stand alone. The Savior said, "I never said it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." How can I not expect 2 go through life w/out experiencing loneliness when the Savior went through this @ his lowest point in the Garden of Gethsemane & came out 2 see his apostles asleep. I'm grateful & am always looking 4 what the blessing is in disguise when faced w/different trials & tribulations that come my way. It has definitely made me who I am 2day & who I will continue striving 2 be in the future. :D With that said. . . .here are some pics we took while on our little 'FIELD TRIP' w/the kids. Enjoy. . . . .


































No comments: