BloggerHood

Thursday, November 26, 2009

'PRECIOUS'




Yesterday, we headed 2 the movies w/my mother inlaw. :D It was her last day here & we wanted 'GIRLS TIME' w/her. :D We headed downtown 2 the Broadway Theaters 2 watch 'Precious' WOW!! With all the hype that's been buzzing about this movie, let alone having Oprah's name attached 2 it had us all EXCITED 2 see this movie. :D



I think it's safe 2 say that the emotions we experienced throughout the movie was something we weren't used 2 or even something we've never experienced. We are all so used 2 going through emotional roller coasters, but in the end. . . .there's usually a light @ the end of the tunnel. And that's exactly what we were expecting w/this movie as well. I don't want 2 ruin it 4 any of you that are planning 2 watch it so if you are. . . .then don't read any further. Lol.



Us, posing on our way 2 the theaters. :D What can I say?? We love 2 make every moment count!! Lol. :D






Right outside the Broadway Theaters downtown buying our tickets. :D

The movie portrays the life of a young girl by the name of 'Precious' Saying she lives a hard life is a definite understatement. She has been sexually abused by her father since the age of 3, she later becomes sexually abused by her mother as well. She gives birth 2 a little girl w/down syndrome & then again 2 a little boy & both are the result of her father molesting/raping her. Her mother makes her cook all these fatty foods & then makes her sit there & eat them because her mother blames her 4 her boyfriend, which is Precious' father, abusing her sexually. Saying things like she stole her man & other garbage like that. Ugh. . . .her mother's role is played by Monique, the comedian. She did an EXCELLENT job in her performance, but the movie was just trial after trial after trial after trial. When you think, phew. Finally a break when Precious up & leaves w/her kids & gets help w/a place 2 stay & furthering her education so that she can take care of herself & her kids on her own. . . .she finds out that her dad passed away 4rom being HIV positive. So she goes & gets tested & finds out that she has it as well.

In the end she's still grateful that she's on her own w/her kids & away 4rom her mom & all the abuse, but now she's trying 2 figure out how her kids will be taken care of when she passes away. And then it's done.

When the movie ended, we all just kinda sat there. Sheena was sitting on my left hand side & I reached over 2 hug her cause I saw her wiping away @ her tears & then I heard her sniffling & I was like. . . .WOW, I didn't know you were crying that hard. LOL. But it's really a sad movie & I think it was more of a REALITY CHECK then anything else. I've always thought that people that live here in UT & aren't able 2 travel out of state or even more so. . . .out of the country, live in a bubble. When I moved here in '94, it was. . . .the least 2 say: A CULTURE SHOCK 4 me. Don't get me wrong. . .it's a GREAT place 2 live & raise a family, but it gives no PERSPECTIVE on the way it is around the world & even just in other parts of this country alone. Suffice it 2 say, I LOVE it here. My husband & I plan on taking our kids 2 visit a lot of different places so that they can learn about not just their own heritage & where they come from, but also 2 learn about the different nationalities & ethnicities around the world. If they can see things 4rom a world wide perspective & be able 2 comprehend what's going on. . . .I truly believe that it'll only help 2 broaden their horizons as well as Hoko & I's. :D I absolutely LOVE it!! :D

These were my thoughts on the movie & I'm grateful that I was able 2 watch it. It was definitely an eye opener & I'm just really sad that these kinds of things happen in real life & to real people. :( Times like these that help 2 remind me of how THANKFUL I am 2 have the GOSPEL in my life. :D

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I've come to the conclusion, that I didn't like the movie Precious?! Lol I like living in this little bubble we call Utah! Lol I want my kids to go out there and experience all the world has to offer! But then, I think about that movie and want to keep them locked away from this cruel and evil world! I really needed that hug though, I was so emotional! I hate thinking that there really are people out there, who do such mean things! It wasn't a movie for me, but I totally loved the post! :)

Fiona and Hoko Tuakoi said...

Lol. And I think you speak 4 the rest of the group as well. :D Nobody liked the movie. And you're totally right. It's so hard to think of people out there that do such mean & such disgusting things. But it's a reality & we have a lot 2 be grateful 4 living in our "BUBBLE" :D I've never seen a movie like 'Precious' before where I didn't know how I felt about it til the next day. Lol. WOW!!