BloggerHood

Sunday, June 28, 2009

I Heart The Ensign. . . . :D


I haven't been keeping up w/the monthly Ensign magazine that our church puts out, but I'm so so HAPPY that I was able 2 pick up the June issue yesterday. I can HONESTLY say that it is always filled w/so much NEEDED information & it HELPS our little family strive 2 grow daily. :D One of the MANY things that caught my eye while reading the different articles & teachings in this month's issue was an article written by Kay Przybille called 'STRETCHING YOUR DOLLARS.' There's a paragraph in there that states, "Organized sports, dance, & other programs are great, but consider waiting 2 involve your children until they are older, when they can help pay the costs & understand the financial sacrifices involved. Meanwhile, teach cooperation, sportsmanship, fair play, & teamwork @ home - with Mom & Dad as coaches."

This hit it right on the nail since we had decided 2 give the girls a break 4rom extracurricular activities 4 the months of May & June. But after reading this. . . . .we've agreed that we will be keeping them home & spending more quality time w/them & being 'coaches' in their lives until they're old enough 2 help pay 4 the costs of the different activities that they want 2 be involved in. :D I can't believe how much information is filled in this magazine & I'm so GRATEFUL 4 all the counsel & teachings that I know I can always RELY on in times of need & just w/life in general.

One of the other articles that inspired me GREATLY & this time in my marriage instead of w/our kids, lol. . . . .is titled, 'Arise Early' by Linda Davis whose also 4rom Utah. She says:

"Arising early is not in D&C 89, but rather in section 88: "Retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies & your minds may be invigorated."

My husband gets up for work at 5:00 a.m. In the past, I didn't get up w/him. I would sleep in, and I didn't get up with my teenage sons either. At night I went to bed early, but my husband stayed up until 11:00 p.m. or later. I was worried about him because he would get sleepy when driving. We needed a change.
I decided to get up with my husband & have breakfast with him. Now we spend time together talking over breakfast. As a result, I am up now with my children before they go to school, and I send them off with prayers and hugs.
My husband is now going to bed early too. I find that my sleep, which had always been poor, has become much sounder, so I don't sleep as much. It seems that many things are better in my life because I strive to heed the counsel to "arise early."

I totally relate 2 this wife/mother. My husband, too, gets up between 4:30-5:00 a.m. every morning 4 work & is always so TIRED on his drive home. He also stays up til about 11:00 p.m. every night. Sometimes later & sometimes earlier, but not by much. So I've made it a goal & have put it @ the top of my 'to do' list 2 make it a PRIORITY 2 get up w/my husband every morning & have breakfast w/him. I think it'll help us both, TREMENDOUSLY, 2 not only spend a little bit more time 2gether (and QUALITY TIME 4 that matter since everyone in the house will still be sound asleep), but we'll also be able 2 start out our days 2GETHER!! :D Instead of me sleeping in while he gets up by himself. Gosh, just re-reading that last sentence makes me feel so bad 4 not coming up w/this a long time ago. :( I think it'll help him on his drive home 2 make it SAFELY back 2 us @ the end of his shift as well as help me not have so many late nights & then feel so so TIRED during the day. :D

I'm so EXCITED 2 see what changes will come about in this effort we'll be putting forth. I'll definitely have 2 keep you all updated. :D On that note. . . .it's about that time 4 me 2 turn in. We just got home 4rom our reunion meeting & I'm EXHAUSTED. 'Early 2 Rise & Early 2 Bed'

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was up eating breakfast with my hubby, before I even read your blog! ha ha ha What the.. Ensign ready, I already am! ha ha ha.. Early to bed, Early to arise! ha ha ha.. And poor Hoko! I would totally be falling asleep on that drive, no matter how early I went to sleep! ha ha ha

Fiona and Hoko Tuakoi said...

Lol. That's exactly what he said. But I'm hoping that the HEARTY morning breakfast will help keep him fueled throughout the day. :D Hopefully?? Hahaha