BloggerHood

Monday, May 4, 2009

Self Reliance Is Key. . . . :D

Topic in Relief Society's lesson yesterday was on SELF RELIANCE.  I loved it.  It made me realize how much I take advantage of so many things living here in this great land of AMERICA.  Many of our Relief Society sisters shared how they would grow their own fruits & vegetables back when they lived in the islands, but how they've taken advantage of the fact that they live here in America now & can just run 2 the grocery store & buy 'em.  One of the sisters shared how she can easily make jam 4rom fruits, but how she hasn't done so since leaving the islands.  

With all these stories being shared, I thought 2 myself that I, too, can start a garden in my yard & grow the veggies that we use in our household.  With Hoko back 2 work now & me joining him w/in the next couple of weeks, we've talked a lot about getting our food storage on track as well as growing our own fruits & vegetables.  I'm so EXCITED 2 say that this project will be starting 2day.  I was very surprised (I don't know why) 2 find all the information I need 2 start gardening on the LDS.org website.  Every bit of info I need 2 get started & even 2 maintain it is on there.  I am even more confident that I can actually undertake this project now.  :D  I love what the Relief Society stands 4 & the way they help each individual sister come closer 2 our Savior as well as the skills we are taught so that we can become more SELF RELIANT.  I will always be 4ever GRATEFUL 4 the gospel in my life & what it continually does 2 help me as a wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend & so forth. . . . . .  

2 comments:

Kassie said...

That's awesome sis! I have a great story about Ray's Uncle back in Hawaii I'll have to tell ya sometime. It's so amazing and touching and it really does motivate to harvest your own crops. I have yet to get my tomato plants in the ground because it's been so bloody cold, I swear it was May!

Youre such a good example and that's why I love ya! We can be Zumba-gardening-Moms hahaha.

Fiona and Hoko Tuakoi said...

Hahaha!! Loving our Zumba-Gardening-Moms title!! :D That's definitely what we are!! Lol. Saturday will be my husband & I's project day 2 build a garden box 2 plant our crops!! I'm so EXCITED!! :D