BloggerHood

Thursday, July 28, 2011

'A Penny Saved Is A Penny Earned'

I never quite grasped the importance of this concept growing up. Truthfully speaking, it was probably because when I look back on my life. . . . .I was pretty spoiled. My parents did everything they could to not only take care of our needs, but to also provide for our wants. One of the main things that I loved to spend money on during my teenage years was definitely clothes. I learned quickly how to bargain shop & what places to hit up that had GREAT prices. My dad used to always give us lunch money, but I skipped out on lunch & would save it all up during the week so I can hit up TJ Maxx & Ross on the weekends to get me some new clothes. $15-20 goes a long way if you know where to look & what to look for. It's really not about the quantity of fabric that you own, but moreso how you are able to switch things up & mix & match different pieces. In the end, it comes down to you not being afraid of being you. Trusting yourself wholeheartedly to be comfortable in your skin that it shows in your fashion taste. :D Not that I'm in any way a fashionista or anything. But I do love me some clothes!! Lol.

Anyways, Hoko is thee total opposite of me. He has always been tight with money. That is. . . .until we had our son. Then our second son came along. But really, it started with our first son. Who just so happens to be named after him. Lol. He loves to spend money on me & the kids. But mainly, the kids, since my collection of both clothes & shoes is pretty ridiculous. And even I can conform to that. He's balanced me out so much & changed my outlook in so many ways when it comes to money. The gospel & the experiences we've gone through has made all the difference as well. Especially the fact that we just keep having kids. Hahaha. . . . .

But we've both come to the conclusion that we want to be able to well equip our kids with the tools & knowledge of the advantages of saving money. How much independence they will gain in doing so. This single principle alone affects our lives in so many different aspects of it. It's not just about the financial side of things. It has everything to do with the very principle of delayed gratification. I've heard many of the leaders talk about this single principle. How everything these days is available to us with the click of a mouse or touch of a button. . . . .they warn that we may be missing so many opportunities because of the fact that we are always so unknowingly in a hurry. I want my kids to know that things mean more to them if they've actually put some thought in to what it is they want & what it took them to get it. I've been carefully choosing different opportunities to take advantage of in which I give them the free agency to get what it is that they want, but only if they are ready to spend their money to buy it. It's AMAZING to me how much they really think about whether it's worth it to them or not. I didn't think it would be so immediate. They hate to see the numbers on their digital piggy bank decrease instead of increase. They are constantly thinking twice about whether to buy this or whether to buy that. I love it so much!! They now understand when Hoko & I tell them that we are more than happy to provide for their needs, but if they WANT something. . . . .that's gonna have to come out of their own pockets.

So a couple of months ago, a lady in my ward dropped off an Avon catalog for me to browse through. One of the things that caught my attention was this cute digital piggy bank. It was of course battery operated, but it actually displayed the amount of money you had in it with every deposit made. I was seriously flabbergasted cause I'd never even considered such a thing. But I was immediately SOLD & planned to get my hands on a couple of these for the kids. Well, as time passed on I forgot about it until we went on our road trip to Cali & the girls did their number at the reunion & got quite a bit of money from it. I didn't want them to lose any of it, but they didn't have anywhere to put it. And I didn't want to hold it for them cause I wanted them to start taking responsibility for their own money. So as soon as we got back I searched Amazon.com for digital piggy banks & this was the most affordable one we found.

The girls absolutely adore their piggy banks & I'll need to take pictures of them so I can post Aaliyah's creativity that she came up with in order to distinguish/separate one from the other. And while it's not much to look at, it serves it's purpose quite well. But with Aaliyah's art put into work, it'll start to bloom in no time & not be such a sight for sore eyes. Lol. :D

1 comment:

Line said...

cool! i've never heard of a digital piggy bank, but that is a great idea! and it's a good way to motivate and teach your kids to save. good job! :)