BloggerHood

Monday, April 23, 2012

"We Must Have Those Blessings"

   My girls performed their Tahitian number at a wedding on Saturday.  The bride is Hoko's first cousin, but more or less a sister to him.  We both LOVE this family very much and were so happy to be a part of her special day.  Of course, due to our polynesian culture, they each received money from it.  They totaled it up and I told them to hand it over so I can hold it for them so they're not walking around flashing their money like they're tight or something.  Lol.  Seriously, tho.  Kids can be so annoying sometimes.  As they unwillingly handed them over, I told them we'd talk more when we got home.  We got home really late  that night so the talk was delayed until the next day.  They all asked for their money and I told them that they had to pay their tithing before spending on anything else.  They all nodded, but as they walked off, my lil Lote turned and said, "But we shouldn't waste money on tithing when we have to save for our cruise."  My immediate reaction was anger cause I couldn't believe what I just heard.  I turned around and said, "What did you just say?  We have to pay our tithing cause we NEED those blessings!!"  Only I can say that last sentence in an angry voice like that.  Who does that??  Total parenting #FAIL# moment!!  As I contemplated my reaction as well as the words that came out of Lote sii's mouth, I realized that she obviously doesn't understand the principle of tithes and offerings.  I later asked her if she knew why we paid tithing and she replied 'no.'  I explained that first and foremost, it's a commandment from God and we do it out of obedience.  I continued to explain that our tithing is used to build temples, churches, the Bishop's storehouse for families that fall into hard times and for all the missionaries out there preaching the gospel to all the world.  She innocently nodded her head and I could tell that she understood, but things still didn't click as to WHY.  As great as all those things sounded to her 9 year old brain, I knew she was still wondering why when we don't get anything out of it.  We're actually losing money by giving it away.  


   Later that night I felt prompted to log onto the lds.org website so I can re-read the talk that was given by Elder Boyd K. Packer this past conference.  It was one of my favorite ones.  But as soon as the website pulled up, a link immediately caught my attention.  It said 'Tithing Brings Blessings.'  I clicked on it and came across this story that I can say with absolute conviction that I was supposed to read.  Here it is:


Elder Oaks says paying tithing is, first of all, an act of faith. He tells of a time during World War II when his widowed mother worked as a schoolteacher and earned a meager salary to support her three children. When he became aware that their family was going without some desired possessions because they didn’t have enough money, he asked his mother why she continued to pay tithing.

He has never forgotten her response: “Dallin, there might be some people who can get along without paying tithing, but we can’t. The Lord has chosen to take your father and leave me to raise you children. I cannot do that without the blessings of the Lord, and I obtain those blessings by paying an honest tithing. When I pay my tithing, I have the Lord’s promise that he will bless us, and we must have those blessings if we are to get along.”

   I absolutely LOVE that story.  With Hoko working out of town these past couple of years, this is exactly how I feel about many different aspects of the church.  Tithing is definitely one of them.   We need the blessings that come from the obedience of being a full tithe payer.  I'm so grateful for the gospel in my life.  It continues to help me get through days when I just need a reminder of my father in heaven's love for me.  :D

No comments: