BloggerHood

Thursday, January 7, 2010

1st FHE Of 2010. . . . .

With this past week being the 1st official week of 2010, I thought it really important 2 start a family tradition w/the kids in 'GOAL SETTING' :D It's something that my parents always did w/us throughout the years & so I thought it'd be great 2 carry on this tradition in my own growing family.

We started out w/a story out of the Friends Mag that was just issued out this month. I love that magazine. It has FHE ideas in there that are kid-friendly & really keeps in mind families that have a LOT of younger kids in theirs. Such as ours. :D It also has enough activities/lessons in it 2 last the WHOLE month. :D So back 2 the story that we started out with. It's called:

Amy's Goal

When Amy R. decided 2 read the Bible all the way through, her 1st thought was, "Wow, this is going 2 take so long."
It was 2006, and Amy had just finished President Gordon B. Hinkley's challenge 2 read the Book of Mormon. Because she felt so good when she accomplished her goal, she decided 2 read the Bible next.
"When I 1st opened the Bible, I thought maybe it was too much," Amy says. "But I also knew that if I never started the Bible, I would never finish the Bible."
Amy began reading a little bit every night, just as she had done with the Book of Mormon. She did that for the next 2 yrs.
Sometimes Amy's schedule was busier than usual. Sometimes at night she was tired & just wanted 2 go 2 sleep. But even when these things happened, she kept going.
There were times when Amy didn't understand what she was reading. She would pray 2 Heavenly Father & ask Him 2 help her understand. Amy says those prayers were always answered. She also says reading the scriptures helped her know how 2 use words such as Thee & Thy when she prays.
In December 2008, when she was 10 yrs old, Amy finished the Bible. As a special Christmas gift, she wrote a letter 2 her dad about her experience. When her dad read the letter, his eyes filled w/tears. "I almost felt like crying too because I was so happy," Amy says. "I knew I had done a good thing."
Does Amy have a favorite verse from her reading? No, but she often thinks about the people in the scriptures.
"Knowing stories from the scriptures has helped me w/my problems," Amy says. "When I start feeling bad for myself, I compare my own problem 2 the problems of the people in the scriptures. That helps me 2 have a better attitude & be more thankful about my situation. The scriptures have changed my life & helped me be happier."

What an AMAZING story of this little girl who is DEFINITELY on the right track 2 arming herself w/the BEST tools in life 2 keep her on the 'straight & narrow' path. :D After sharing the story w/the kids, we asked them a couple of questions & were pleasantly surprised that they answered every question correctly. With Sila & Baby Hoko, who have no kind of attention spans whatsoever (lol), we were EXTREMELY happy that the 3 older girls were able 2 still catch the example Amy was setting in this story. :D

Our activity afterwards consisted of us taking 5-10 min 2 think of a bad habit that we each have & set a goal that for 21 days we would turn that habit into a good one. We were given another set of SURPRISES when all 3 older girls' bad habits that they set a goal 4 & would turn into good habits was 2 stop lying. WOW!! I was really caught off guard & in that moment. . . .said a quiet prayer in my heart & thanked Heavenly Father 4 placing such an IMPORTANT factor & always EMPHASIZING fhe in the church through our wonderful prophet as well as many other leaders of the church. After we all stated our bad habits that we were going 2 work 2 break & turn into good habits, we took a little time out 2 talk 2 the girls about lying & how it makes them feel & how it always starts w/just a little lie before gradually getting bigger & bigger as the years go by. We're so so GRATEFUL 2 have the gospel in our lives 2 help direct us & give such specific instruction on how 2 lead ourselves as well as our families in these TRYING times. It had NEVER occurred 2 me in the past that my kids ever struggled w/lying. And I'm eternally grateful 2 the concept of FHE that we've faithfully been consistent in holding every week that we were able 2 address this issue while they are so young. They've never LIED 2 us about anything major, mind you they're all still so young, but we had a pretty 'IN-DEPTH' discussion w/them about how even little lies like saying they've already cleaned their rooms when they haven't can become 2nd nature 2 them & as they grow older, the lies will only get BIGGER. Suffice it 2 say, we're EXTREMELY proud of these little girls 4 stepping up 2 the plate & owning up 2 their wrongs & 4 even taking it a step further & accepting the challenge 2 track their goal that they have set in turning this UGLY bad habit into a good habit by not lying for 21 days. I printed out a GOAL TRACKING CHART that they're able 2 mark off every single day that they accomplish their goal. If any of us mess up, we have 2 start our 21 day trial all over again. And I have 2 be honest. . . .Hoko & I are already starting ours again as of 2day. Lol.

It was a very successful FHE & we were both so happy w/the outcome & excited 2 be getting rid of our bad habits one habit @ a time. :D This weekend I'll be working on 'REWARD BOARDS' that'll track the kids' chores, homework, scripture study & so forth w/cute stickers 4rom the dollar store. An added incentive 4 the girls 2 be able 2 actually see their charts up & know where they stand & what needs a little more attention & working on. :D I'm so EXCITED!! :D It'll also help me a lot in being able 2 know when 2 reward them. It's great. I came across this idea when I was googling the goal charts online. :D I'll be sure 2 keep you all updated on how it goes. :D

No comments: