BloggerHood

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Finding Comfort In The 'Ensign'


The Ensign has been such a continuous blessing in my life. The messages shared in this wonderful publication never ceases to amaze me. Last month's issue didn't disappoint. :D There's a story in it called 'Rebecca Swain Williams: STEADFAST & IMMOVABLE. As much as I thoroughly loved the whole story, I really connected with one instance in particular. I'm going to quote it directly from the story cause I wouldn't do it justice trying to explain it in my own words. :D

"As the Church quickly became central to Frederick and Rebecca's lives, the impact on their family was immediate. Frederick was ordained an elder right after his baptism and confirmation. The very next day, he enthusiastically accepted an assignment to leave within a few weeks to serve a mission with Oliver Cowdery. They anticipated the mission would last three weeks; in reality it became a 10-month trip to Missouri. His long absence from home was the first of many such periods for Rebecca. Because of Frederick's missionary efforts and his calling into the First Presidency, he was frequently away. Rebecca, like many early Mormon women, spent long months tending their home and raising their children without the help of her husband.
Despite the work, Rebecca continued faithful and served willingly. The Prophet Joseph Smith and his family lodged in the Williams' home for a time when the Smiths first moved to Kirtland. Rebecca proved loyal to the Prophet and his family as she cared for them through trying times. Once a mob came and surrounded the home looking for Joseph. Rebecca disguised Joseph in her bonnet and cloak. Joseph was able to leave the house and pass through the crowd to safety."

These past couple of months have come with some really trying times for our family. The winter time always brings its ups & downs with having Hoko home. And while most of it is UP. . . . .I can truly attest to the parts that were down, as being as LOW as it can go. :( While I'm continually grateful for all that we've been blessed with, I have been dreading the thought of knowing that at any time now, Hoko will be leaving us to return back to work for an extended period of time. And it has caused me so much sorrow & heartache, but I have found such comfort in the story of Rebecca Swain Williams. I relate to her story all too well. The raising of the kids on my own, tending to the house, and pretty much everything else at home that needs looking after. And my heart goes out to those early pioneer women in those days. They really did do a lot of things on their own that had to do with the family. What AMAZING examples they are & I feel very humbled when thinking of my own affliction compared to theirs. With the technological advances over time, I now have privileges that they never enjoyed. Cell phones, to talk to my husband whenever I want; Minivan, to get me to & fro safely in a short period of time; Skype, so we can video chat online & see each other; Airplanes, in case I have the opportunity to go visit him; Internet, as another form of communication through various channels; and so on.

My heart was full as I read this story & I honestly felt the Lord was letting me know that He is mindful of me. Of the desires of my heart. I felt a reassuring peace that all is well. Though with this time around, I am in school full time while entering the second trimester of this pregnancy & juggling the six children that we already have, all is well. The saying that comes to mind is that of Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin when he said: "Come what may & love it." So as for now, I'm going to look at the BRIGHT side & enjoy the journey as much as I can. I'm a firm believer of not just enduring the journey. But enduring it well. :D

No comments: