BloggerHood

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Bridging The Gaps


'The mortal experience is filled with gaps:
  • between what we know and what we do
  • between the way of God and the ways of man
  • between preaching and practicing
  • between what the media represents and what really occurred
  • between what the media popularizes and what the Lord endorses
  • between what we know to be true and how willing we are to stand up for what we believe
  • between the world's standards of morality and God's law of chastity
  • between the world's definition of the family and God's divine plan for the family
And on it goes. For each of us, there are gaps with which to deal. For example, if you believe in the Word of Wisdom but don't really live it, there's a gap. If you believe your family is the most important entity on earth but often seem to get pulled elsewhere, there's a gap. There are gaps if you feel love for your spouse, but withhold love for some reason. If you want a strong marriage but don't make building it a priority; if you believe modesty is important but are tired of coaching teenagers who are tempted to wear clothes that are too tight, too short, too revealing, and with slits up to high heaven, and therefore you say nothing. There are gaps if you say money isn't everything but spend your time and energy as though it were; if you believe in a living prophet but manage to slip away most conference weekends to the beach or the lake; if you believe there is power in the word of God but don't spend much time immersed in the scriptures. . . . . .and so on.'

This is an excerpt out of a book I'm currently reading called, 'No One Can Take Your Place' by Sheri Dew. She is definitely one of my favorite LDS authors. She makes sense of things that usually go over my head. Or things that I've looked at, but from the total opposite side of the spectrum. Lol. I love this book so far.

It's really helped me to realize that there are a lot of things in my life that call for 'BRIDGING THE GAPS' :D One of those things that I've always believed strongly in is missionary work. But I struggled with how I, as a mother, who didn't take advantage of this wonderful privilege because of paths I chose to go down that prohibited me from doing so, could become an instrument in the hands of the Lord in bridging the gap between what I believe to be such a significant & cardinal TRUTH as to bringing those souls to the knowledge of God & being able to teach them of our purpose here on earth, yet fearing that I might somehow offend someone in doing so. President Hinkley has explained how the Gospel makes sense of everything. Let me repeat that: The Gospel Makes Sense Of Everything. And I absolutely testify to the veracity of such a statement. I am completely baffled as to the workings & exactness of the Lord in everything He does for truly everything has a specific purpose in moving His work forward in 'bringing to pass the immortality of man.'

As I've pondered on this & kept a constant prayer in my heart about it, it came so clearly to me one day (which I know without a doubt was the spirit of Lord). I was laying in bed with Hoko having our usual pillow talks that consist of our happenings of the day as well as our future plans & goals. Hoko started asking me how everything went for me. I had attended a Majors Fest at Weber that day. I told him it was GREAT!! I felt so much peace & excitement from everything I had learned that day, namely the nontrad center that they have for nontraditional students such as myself. There is so much support & help available for us with our unique situations. I had stopped into the student services center on my way out to sign up for an upcoming seminar & was able to meet the student body president. She invited me to join her in a new student orientation type thing where members of the student government were explaining all the different positions available to students & the benefits of applying to these positions. Upon acceptance of these different positions, the school issues a tuition waver for a certain amount, depending on which position you are appointed, which then frees up whatever financial aid money you've qualified for to be able to help with the financial obligations we carry in our families. That took the cake for me & I was ecstatic, yet definitely a little apprehensive in even the possibility of running for student government. I mean, I'm already married with six kids, with the three younger ones still at home with me right now. I didn't wanna think of the time involved with taking on these extracurricular activities. But then I thought that this is actually something that wouldn't take up any more EXTRA time than a job would out of my life. Since I was looking to jump back into the workforce anyway. But becoming a part of the student government at Weber would actually benefit my family & I wayyyy more than just going out & finding a job to help supplement our income. The money that it frees up with my financial aid would make up for it & it would look GREAT on my resume. But that's not all. . . . .my constant desire of wanting to get more involved with missionary work is now about to become fulfilled. Maybe not in its entirety, nevertheless I am so happy about it. Being able to run for one of the positions in the student government and if I'm appointed, opens the flood gates for me to get involved with the students at Weber as well as getting involved with the community through volunteer work. :D UOILA!! And though it hasn't happened yet, I am THRILLED to be working on my application at this time in hopes that everything will work out for the best. :D

There are a myriad of things in my life that I KNOW for sure need some STEEL-BUILT bridges to fill in the gaps, but I'm thankful that this is a part of our mortal existence. That these experiences are necessary for our eternal progression & I'm gonna take it one day at a time. :D My only hope is that we can all strive to be more Christlike by bridging the gaps in our lives for by so doing, the Lord has promised us in 3Nephi 11:39 "Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them."




3 comments:

Line said...

i love sheri dew's bk! it's been a while since i've read it, but this post reminded me that i should probably read it again. :)

Fiona and Hoko Tuakoi said...

Yesss!! I love her!! :D She's great. Miss your face, tho. Seriously!! :D Just saw Jonathan the other day!! :D

Anonymous said...

Loved this post! I think that's so awesome that you're running for student body! :) I don't get on here much, so since I'm on now, I wanted to drop on by. Lol Hope all is well out there in Ogden. Love ya.:)